- Assist customers answering questions such as item price or location and handling bulky/ heavy items.
- Operate an electronic checkout system to record unit price, total customer purchase and make correct change.
- Perform a variety of duties in handling, preparing and maintaining stock levels of grocery and produce items.
- Review stock levels and gather inventory data in order to maintain the Computer Assisted Ordering (CAO) system.
- Prepare and maintain a variety of documents to order commissary items, reconcile invoices and submit requisitions.
- Maintain security, safety and sanitation practices and procedures.
- Job family (Series)
1101 General Business And Industry
RequirementsRequirements Conditions of Employment
- Must be a US Citizen
- Must apply by 11:59 EST on the closing date of vacancy
- Work Schedule: Part-Time not to exceed 64 hours bi weekly
- Tour of Duty: Irregular work schedule including nights, weekends and holidays
- Permanent change of Station (PCS) Cost: NOT Authorized
- Position Sensitivity: Non Sensitive
- Security Requirements: Not Applicable
- Overtime: Occasionally:
- Temporary Duty (TDY) Travel: Occasionally
- Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA): Not Exempt
- Bargaining Unit Position: Yes
- Drug Testing: Not Required
- Physical Requirement: Frequently lift, push, pull, carry and handle items weighing up to 40 pounds without assistance.
- Obligated Position: No
- Selective Service Requirement: All male applicants born after December 31, 1959 must be registered with the selective service system or exempt from Selective Service. Please visit https://www.sss.gov/ for more information.
In accordance with the Group Coverage Qualifications Standards for Clerical and Administrative Support Positions, http://www.opm.gov/qualifications/standards/group-stds/gs-cler.asp , applicants must possess one year general experience OR two years of education above the high school level OR a qualifying combination of experience and education by the closing date of this announcement. General experience is progressively responsible clerical, office, or other work that indicates ability to acquire the particular knowledge and skills needed to perform the duties of Store Associate.Education
Volunteer Experience: Your experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through a National Service program (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional, philanthropic, religious, spiritual, community, student, and social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Appropriate education may be substituted for or combined with experience. This education must be from a college or university accredited by an organization approved by the U.S. Department of Education. See http://www.ope.ed.gov/accreditation/Search.aspx for more information.
If you are relying on education to qualify, then:
- Your education must be from a college or university accredited by an organization approved by the U.S. Department of Education. See https://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/ for more information.
- Failure to provide transcripts will result in you being rated ineligible for this position. We accept unofficial transcripts for the application process, as long as they contain your name, the name of the school, the date and degree awarded, and the list of classes and credits earned. Transcripts must be received by this office no later than 11:59 PM EST on the closing date in order to be considered.
- If selected, an official transcript MUST be received before an Entrance of Duty date is set.
REGARDING INTERVIEWS: Interviews may be required for this position. Accommodations may be made to conduct telephonic interviews to preclude travel hardships for applicants.
Re-employed Annuitant: A former Federal employee who has retired under either the Civil Service Retirement System (CSRS) or Federal Employees Retirement System (FERS) is an Annuitant. An annuitant cannot be hired (i.e. re-employed) unless the vacant position meets the criteria in the Department of Defense (DOD) policy on employment of annuitants issued December 10, 2008. The DoD criteria for hiring Re-employed Annuitants can be found at http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/corres/pdf/1400.25-V300.pdf.
Re-employed Annuitant: This position does not meet criteria for re-employed annuitant.
- Deliberate attempts to falsify your application information, such as copying portions of this job announcement into your resume, may result in you being removed from consideration for this position.
- Additional vacancies may be filled from this announcement upon its closing.
- Applicants selected from this announcement may be required to serve a Two Year probationary period.
- Financial Difficulty - https://chcoc.gov/sites/default/files/Mythbuster_on_Federal_Hiring_Policies_0.pdf
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Specifically you will be evaluated on the following competencies:
- Customer Service
- Safety and housekeeping requirements
- Electronic checkout system
- Store operations
- Clerical and administrative duties
To determine if you meet the qualifications, requirements and quality of experience required for this position, we review your resume, supporting documents and responses to the questionnaire. The score you receive is a measure of the degree to which your background matches the competencies required.
Please follow all instructions carefully as errors or omissions may affect your rating. The score you receive is a measure of the degree to which your background matches the competencies required.
Based on the results of the evaluation process, we place those who apply under delegated examining procedures in one of the following quality categories:
- Best-Qualified: Candidates who possess the type and quality of experience that substantially exceeds the position's minimum qualifications, including all selective placement factors and appropriate quality ranking factors.
- Highly-Qualified: Candidates who possess the type and quality of experience that exceeds the position's minimum qualifications.
- Qualified: Candidates who meet the minimum qualifications and are proficient in some but not all of the position's requirements.
Veterans in the Best-Qualified category who (1) provide all applicable and required documents (See the Required Documents section for more information) and (2) meet all the positions' requirements are referred before non-veteran candidates. If there are no veterans in the Best-Qualified category meeting these criteria, we refer non-veteran candidates for employment consideration.
Veterans Preference: If you are entitled to veterans preference, indicate on your resume the type of veterans' preference you are claiming. Your veterans' preference entitlement will be verified by the employing agency. If you are entitled to veterans' preference and qualified for the position, your name will be placed above non-preference candidates on a list sent to the hiring manager for employment consideration. Qualified veterans' preference eligible with a service-connected disability of 10% or more will be listed at the top of the highest quality category depending on the position and grade level of the job. For information on entitlement see http://www.fedshirevets.gov/job/vetpref/index.aspx .
Military Spouse Preference: If you are entitled to military spouse preference, in order to receive this preference you must choose the spousal eligibility in your application package referencing MSP Military Spouse Preference. Your preference entitlement will be verified by the employing agency. If you are claiming military spouse preference and qualified for the position, your name will be placed below preference eligible veteran candidates and above non-preference candidates on a list sent to the hiring manager for employment consideration. See the Required Documents section for information regarding documents you must submit to apply for this position and to claim your Military Spouse Preference (MSP).
Background checks and security clearance Security clearance
OtherDrug test required
NoPosition sensitivity and risk
Non-sensitive (NS)/Low RiskTrust determination process
Required DocumentsRequired Documents
Application packages should include the following documents:
- Questionnaire: Required
- Transcripts: Required if using education to qualify. See Education section for more information.
- Resume: Required **To ensure full consideration of your experience and education we encourage you to use the USAJOBS resume builder to prepare your resume or to guide you in preparing your resume.
- Applicant's full legal name and contact information.
- Description of your duties
- Number of hours worked per week
- Beginning and ending dates (month/year) for each position.
See https://www.usajobs.gov/Help/faq/application/documents/resume/what-to-include/ for more information.
Claiming Veterans' Preference. Additional supporting documents are required. These documents must provide acceptable documentation to verify the type of preference claimed (i.e. 5-point, 10-point, etc.) and the character of the service (i.e. Honorable Discharge). A copy of your DD214, "Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty," showing your Character of Service is required when claiming Veterans' Preference. The member 4 copy of your DD214, "Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty," is preferable. If unable to verify Character of Service, you will not receive veteran's preference.
If claiming 10-point preference, you will need to submit a Standard Form 15, "Application for 10-point Veterans' Preference," http://www.opm.gov/Forms/pdf_fill/SF15.pdf. If selected, additional documentation may be required prior to appointment.
If claiming 10 point preference, you will need to submit a Veteran Disability (VA) Letter. If you need assistance in obtaining a VA Letter please visit https://www.ebenefits.va.gov/ebenefits/homepage.
If you are currently serving on active duty and expected to be released or discharged within the next 120 days, you must submit written documentation from the armed forces that certifies you are expected to be discharged or released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions not later than 120 days from the date the written documentation is signed. If selected, additional documentation may be required prior to appointment.
Interagency Career Transition Assistance Programs: This program applies to employees who have been involuntarily separated from a Federal service position within the competitive service or Federal service employees whose positions have been deemed surplus or no longer needed. To receive selection priority for this position, you must: 1) meet ICTAP eligibility criteria; 2) be rated well-qualified for the position; Well qualified is defined as possessing the type and quality of experience that exceeds the positions minimum qualifications. and 3) submit the appropriate documentation to support your ICTAP eligibility. For more information please visit https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/workforce-restructuring/employee-guide-to-career-transition/.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Claiming Military Spouse Preference. In addition to the documents required by the vacancy announcement, you are required to submit documents that provide acceptable information to verify (1) you reside within the commuting area of your sponsor's permanent duty station (PDS);(2) proof of marriage to the active duty sponsor, and (3) proof of military member's active duty status. This required documentation includes the following:
Marriage Certificate or License, Signed Self-Certification Checklist (Military Spouse PPP Self-Certification Checklist), Veterans' Preference documentation (e.g., DD-214, VA Letter, Statement of Service, if applicable). And, If previously held a federal position you must include SF-50s (e.g., LWOP, highest grade held, overseas appointments, etc.), SF-75 Information, and documentation of performance rating of record (dated within the last 12 months). You must also meet pre-employment criteria and be eligible for immediate noncompetitive appointment to a position in the competitive service.
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
Review our benefits
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
The foundation for success of the Defense Commissary Agency mission is our people. It is DeCA's goal to have a workforce that is comprised of our nation's diverse cultures and backgrounds. DeCA operates a worldwide commissary system that provides quality grocery products to active duty military personnel and retirees, members of the Reserve and National Guard, and their families, as well as current DeCA employees. The agency employs over 15,000 people and its annual sales exceed $4 billion.
Not requiredSupervisory status
Help This job is open to
- Career transition (CTAP, ICTAP, RPL)
Federal employees who meet the definition of a "surplus" or "displaced" employee.
- Military spouses
- The public
U.S. citizens, nationals or those who owe allegiance to the U.S.
This announcement is open to: All U.S. citizens Displaced employees (Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan - ICTAP eligible) within the Local Commuting Area and preference eligible military spouses