Digital Hardware Security Engineer
Requisition ID: 37638
All Locations: El Segundo, CA (California)
A trusted partner. A national resource. A leader in national security space. We are THE Aerospace Corporation. A team that takes pride in our readiness to solve some of the most complex technical challenges in existence. With challenges spanning clandestine to commercial, you’ll have the unique opportunity to work on projects that are literally evolving our nation’s space and launch capabilities. We all share a common passion and aspiration – to serve a mission much bigger than ourselves. When you join our team, you’ll be part of a rare collection of thought leaders and game-changing innovators. Are you ready to launch your career?
Do you enjoy solving challenging ASIC, FPGA, and embedded systems security problems? Do you want to contribute to the success of the nation’s vital space systems? Aerospace is looking for engineers interested in investigating and applying cutting-edge technologies to digital hardware in space-related systems. Aerospace’s Cyber Software and Testing Department (CSTD) team is developing a reputation as a leader in digital hardware security and is looking for your contributions. Some of the duties of the position include:
- Work on the cutting edge of hardware security research, development, and application while helping to secure National Security Space Systems by helping develop tools to detect hardware Trojans in digital hardware designs and use software assurance tools to find potential vulnerabilities in software code.
- Define threat paths and develop guidance on FPGA/ASIC/embedded systems vulnerability mitigations.
- Perform hardware security research and development, as well as training.
- Perform hardware security design/process audits and risk/vulnerability assessments.
- Conduct specialized technical studies and reports findings. Coordinate specific technical assignments for designated discipline or organizations.
- Provide technical advice to management, customers, and associate contractors.
- Initiate development of advanced analytical techniques, concepts, and/or design criteria for subsystems.
- Provides expertise at technical exchange meetings, reviews, briefings to Aerospace, customer, and contractor personnel.
- Assists in performing analytical studies, conducts integration tests, and develops details of acquisition hardware/software and database specifications.
- Assists in technology planning and development; performs testing and evaluation ofdevices; develops procurement specifications and test procedures; prepares details of analytical reports, including preliminary findings and recommendations.
- Applies leading edge techniques, procedures and criteria in carrying out a series of software engineering tasks. Contacts are primarily with immediate supervisor, project leaders, and/or other Members of Technical Staff (MTS) professionals in the group.
- Master’s Degree in electrical/computer engineering or computer science from an accredited university.
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a Top Secret security clearance issued by the United States Government.
- Exhibit high level of innovation, creativeness, and initiative.
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with customers.
- Experience with FPGA design, hardware, and tools from some of the major vendors(e.g.,Xilinx, Altera, Microsemi).
- Experience with some aspects of ASIC design (e.g., HDL entry, simulation, synthesis, floorplanning, layout, clock tree insertion, BIST insertion, ATPG, SPICE simulation)using tools from some of the major vendors(e.g.,Mentor, Cadence, Synopsys).
- Experience with embedded system design (e.g., Xilinx Zynq, ARM, PPC).
- Experience with formal property checking for ASIC/FPGA verification.
- Some experience with ASIC/FPGA verification (e.g., directed test, constrained random, assertion-based verification (ABV), formal-equivalence checking, formal property/model checking, Universal Verification Methodology (UVM), intelligent testbench, code coverage, functional coverage, portable stimulus)using tools from some of the major vendors(e.g.,Mentor, Cadence, Synopsys, OneSpin).
- Experience with coding/scripting (C, C++, python, Perl,shell, Java).
- Local travel is required
- Some CONUS, OCONUS and occasional international travel may be required
- 2 or more years of increasingly responsible professional engineering/scientific experience, including experience in a systems engineering and/or program management environment.
- Specialization and publications in the areas of hardware Trojan horse detection for ASIC/FPGA, preferably with electronic design automation (EDA)tool algorithm applications, and/or anti-tamper.
- Experience with hardware Trojan detection using static and/or dynamic methods and the detailed workings of the algorithms behind these methods.
- Some experience with other ASIC/FPGA verification tools (e.g., linting, clock domain crossing, x-propagation, requirements traceability) using tools from some of the major vendors(e.g.,Mentor Graphics, Cadence, Synopsys).
Transcripts are required for this position.
Additional Requisition Details
System Job Title: MEMBER-TECH STF
Clearance Requirement: Top Secret
Polygraph: Counter Intelligence Polygraph
Relocation Available: Yes
Employment Type: Regular
Work Schedule: Full Time
The Aerospace Corporation has provided independent technical and scientific research, development, and advisory services to national security space programs since 1960. We operate a federally funded research and development center (FFRDC) for the United States Air Force and the National Reconnaissance Office, and support all national security space programs. We also apply more than 50 years of experience with space systems to provide critical solutions to technologically complex systems in such areas as communications, shipping, law enforcement, and cyber, among others.
From our inception, our highly skilled technical staff has focused on ensuring the success of every mission and developing the most effective and economic space-related hardware and software in the world. Our greatest asset is the technical expertise of our people. Our state-of-the-art laboratory facilities are staffed by some of the leading scientists in the world.
Equal Opportunity Commitment
The Aerospace Corporation is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. We believe that a diverse workforce creates an environment in which unique ideas are developed and differing perspectives are valued, producing superior customer solutions. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, gender, gender identity or expression, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, or disability status.
You can also review The Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law poster and the supplement, as well as the Pay Transparency Policy Statement.