IT SPECIALIST (INFOSEC)
- Develops, plans, and implements the Risk Management Framework (RMF) and Cybersecurity Program for assigned systems, serving as a security technical authority for security policies and procedures.
- Conducts independent security control assessment procedures to confirm or establish, by testing, evaluation, examining, investigating or competent evidence, that security controls are implemented correctly and are effective.
- Applies knowledge of DoD Cybersecurity guidance/policy, such as DoD RMF, Defense Information Assurance Certification and Accreditation Process (DIACAP), and Federal Information Security Management Act (FISMA).
- Applies knowledge of DoD Cybersecurity guidance/policy, such as National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST), Security Requirements Guides (SRGs) and Security Technical Implementation Guides (STIG).
- Identifies requirements, implementing and testing security technical standards for assigned technologies such as web applications, applications, databases, operating systems, security platforms and network devices.
- Analyzes identified vulnerabilities determining final risk severity level. Identifies and implements remediation efforts as necessary.
- Works with, interprets results of, and recommends remediation of vulnerabilities identified by DoD and DFAS approved security tools such as Host Based Security System (HBSS), Assured Compliance Assessment Solution (ACAS) and Fortify.
- Prepares narrative and statistical reports, analyzes results, and makes recommendations to management for changes and improvements to security configurations of assigned technologies and systems.
- Documents policies and best practices in support of Audit Readiness and security compliance requirements.
- Job family (Series)
2210 Information Technology Management
RequirementsRequirements Conditions of Employment
- U.S. Citizenship or National
- Background Investigation
- Suitable for Federal Employment
- Registered for Selective Service (if applicable)
- Cyber-Security Certification required as a condition of employment
- This national security position, which may require access to classified information, requires a favorable suitability review and security clearance as a condition of employment. Failure to maintain security eligibility may result in termination.
Basic Requirement: Applicants must have IT-related experience demonstrating the following competencies appropriate to, or above, the level of this position. Your resume and work experience should clearly support your ability to meet these competencies and will be evaluated as part of the entire application process.
- Attention to Detail- experience reviewing my own information technology-related work or data and have been asked by others to review their work or data to ensure accuracy, completeness, and consistency with standards
- Customer Service- experience maintaining relationships with customers, assessing current information technology needs of customers, and developing or identifying information technology products and services that are tailored to meet customer needs
- Oral Communication- briefing mid-level management and IT staff on the status of information technology systems, projects, or daily operations, including the communication of technical information to a non-technical audience
- Problem Solving- identifying alternatives to address complex information technology-related issues by gathering and applying information from a variety of sources that provide a number of potential solutions
In addition to the Basic Competency Requirements listed above, one year of specialized experience equivalent in level of difficulty and responsibility to that of the next lower grade (GS-11) in the federal service, which demonstrates the ability to perform the duties of the position, is required.
Specialized experience is defined as: assisting with identifying, implementing, testing and remediating technical security requirements for assigned technologies and environments; helping to interpret, manage, or facilitate changes to cybersecurity policies and procedures; providing cybersecurity guidance to I&T management, staff, and customers; conducting assessment procedures of security controls; and assisting with the development of security controls for common IT processes (e.g., access management) based on government or industry best practices, policies and laws.
Volunteer Experience: Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual, community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience. Education
Education is not substitutable for specialized experience at this grade level.
- Per DFAS 8570.01-I, as a CONDITION OF EMPLOYMENT, this position requires the selected candidate to obtain and maintain a DoD-approved baseline Cybersecurity certification, applicable workforce qualification requirements, and, if applicable computing environment certificate. The selected candidate must meet these requirements within six (6) months after entry on duty. Failure to do so may lead to removal from the Federal.
- Moving expenses will be paid.
- Telework availability will be based upon the mission requirements and supervisory determination.
- Selections are subject to restrictions resulting from the DoD Program for Stability of Civilian Employment.
- DFAS is using the Direct Hire Authority (DHA) for DOD Cyber Workforce Positions to recruit and appoint individuals to positions that meet the definition of "cyber workforce" (also known as "cyberspace workforce") as defined in DoDD 8140.01, "Cyberspace Workforce Management," and must be anticipated to become part of the cyber excepted service. Positions in the cyber excepted service are positions necessary to carry out the responsibilities of the United States Cyber Command.
- Employment with DFAS means access to generous benefits such as: health, vision, and dental insurance, retirement benefits, paid time off, and educational benefits.
- A two year probationary or trial period may be required.
- We may use this announcement to fill additional vacancies within 90 days of the closing date.
- This position is exempt from the Fair Labor Standards Act.
- Travel requirement is Seldom (less than 25%).
- This position is covered by a bargaining unit.
- Veteran’s Preference: Veteran’s preference does not apply under this Direct Hire Authority (DHA).
- DFAS recognizes the value of competencies gained through formal education and professional certifications. To ensure that consistent credit is given for these credentials in the selection process DFAS has developed standard selection criteria to be used when filling positions in professional and administrative series. Selections for professional and administrative positions will be based on four categories of selection criteria: Experience, Other, Education, and Certifications.
- Males born after 12-31-59 must be registered or be exempt from Selective Service (see http://www.sss.gov ).
- Retired Civil Service Employee: Employment of retired Federal employees receiving an annuity is subject to the requirements of the Department of Defense (DoD) policy guidance. (See DoD Instruction 1400.25, Volume 300, at http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives .
- If you are unable to apply online, view the following link for information regarding Alternate Application .
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
IMPORTANT NOTE - YOU MUST FOLLOW ALL APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS CAREFULLY. ERRORS OR OMISSIONS MAY AFFECT YOUR RATING.
All information included in the resume, required documents and Occupational Questionnaire is subject to review and verification. HR will review your resume and supporting documentation to ensure you meet the minimum qualification requirements. Applicants meeting the minimum requirements will be referred to management for consideration.
You can preview the Assessment Questionnaire here: https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/10292802
Background checks and security clearance Security clearance
OtherDrug test required
Required DocumentsRequired Documents
You must provide a complete Application Package which includes:
- Resume: you are encouraged to choose only ONE method of submitting your resume. (HR will review the resume that the system date stamps as the latest one received and this may not be the resume which best reflects your qualifications for the job and may result in an ineligible rating.) You may submit your resume by: attaching in your USAJOBS account; uploading in your Application Manager account; OR faxing. For assistance in preparing your resume, take a look at the DFAS Resume Tools .
- Complete Assessment Questionnaire
- Other Supporting Documents
- Transcripts and/or Certifications: For additional information on acceptable documents, click here Transcripts and Certifications . All applicants to include current agency employees/contractors must also document your education and/or certifications in your resume. To be creditable, education must have been obtained in an accredited college or university recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
- Veterans Preference: If you are claiming veteran’s preference, you MUST submit the appropriate documentation.
- Cover Letter: You may submit a cover letter which will be forwarded to the selecting official with your resume. Your cover letter will not be used to verify your qualifications or determine eligibility for preference.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education .
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits .
Review our benefits
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
Who may apply: All US Citizens
This position is located in the I&T Directorate; Corporate Systems; Warehouse Reporting Systems Support. This job announcement may be used to fill similar positions on other teams in the I&T Directorate.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.Supervisory status