This position is responsible for purchase of goods and services to support multi-plant operations. Buyers are delegated the authority by the Director of Purchasing – RACS to negotiate and commit the company to purchase contracts. Purchase materials, equipment, supplies, services and commodity products. Evaluates, rates and selects suppliers by production capability, performance, quality and delivery.
Develop, implement, and manage commodity strategies; evaluate and select suppliers, including global opportunities, negotiation of supply agreements, and rationalization of the supply base. Develop cost reduction and productivity strategies directly aligned with overall commodity strategy. Develop and implement actions to achieve commodity goals delivery performance, productivity/cost reduction. Drive continuous improvement in the supply base in support of business goals utilizing Long Term Agreements.
Provide continual support to Commodity Teams, plants, Suppliers, Customers. Prepare/handle RFQ’s/EC’s for commodities. Evaluate Supplier quotation responses and prepare total acquisition cost analyses to determine sourcing recommendation. Participate in purchasing-related internal meetings, including making presentations to senior management. Uses the SAP and other enterprise systems and programs to issue purchase orders, collect and analyze data. Analyze data to determine root causes for poor performance. Create and execute actions plans to improve supplier performance.
- Evaluate and manage existing and potential suppliers based on the principles of Total Cost of Ownership.
- Responsible for commodities or assignments requiring application of basic purchasing principles, theories and concepts.
- Ensure timely acquisitions of product or service requirements from known sources of supply.
- Participate in continuous learning and professional development activities.
- Comply with purchasing policies and procedures. May suggest improvement as experience is gained.
- Negotiate and place basic purchase orders.
- Use established strategies and tactics to achieve goals.
- May resolve issues in the areas of requisition accuracy and completeness, on-time delivery or supplier payment.
- Operate in a closely supervised environment requiring limited decision making
- Promptly raise issues for assistance with corrective action.
- Follow specific, detailed instructions.
- May assist in the location of alternate sources of supply
- Manage and update data in MRP system including but not limited to price, lead time, and lot sizes
- Represent Rockwell Automation when interfacing with other companies. This representation includes conducting meetings/presentations with supplier and Rockwell Automation personnel, selecting appropriate sources, communicating material specifications, negotiating pricing, establishing delivery commitments, resolving quality problems, and resolving disputed legal and financial issues.
- Edit and process purchase requisitions working with appropriate departments to clarify specifications and requirements.
- Coordinate activities with other functional areas (Engineering, Marketing, Quality, Production and Inventory Control, Legal and Finance/Accounting) to achieve maximum customer service.
- Participate in and support the coordinated purchase agreement programs with the Rockwell Strategic Sourcing organization.
- Identify and drive activities to improve the in-bound supply chain management practices for Rockwell Automation Control Systems.
- Aid in the development of new or enhanced computer systems/capabilities in support of overall productivity improvement efforts and management reporting.
- Ensure thorough familiarity with policies and procedures relating to the purchasing department and standards of business conduct.
- EOE, M/F/Disabled, Vet
Basic QualificationsBasic Qualifications:
- Bachelors Degree
- Legal authorization to work in the US is required. We will not sponsor individuals for employment visas, now or in the future, for this job opening.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Engineering, Materials Management, Purchasing, Supply Chain Management or a related technical discipline.
- A minimum of two years direct related experience.
- Purchasing experience in a manufacturing environment helpful.
- Strong organizational interpersonal and written communication skills.
- Ability to multi-task.
- Ability to influence peers and lead cross functional teams.
- Proven results in driving supplier improvement and implementing cost reduction programs.
- Exposure to concepts of contract negotiation and conflict resolution.
- Excellent analytical and negotiation skills.
- Self-starter, possessing high degree of self-motivation and bias for action.
- Demonstrated problem solving and project management skills
- CPM certification desirable.
- Six Sigma Green Belt certification preferred.
- SAP experience is preferred.