Eaton Internship Program: Software & Controls Engineer
At Eaton, we believe that power, whether it’s electrical, hydraulic or mechanical power - is a fundamental part of people’s lives. Technology, transportation, energy and infrastructure—these are things the world relies on every day. That’s why we are dedicated to helping our customers across the world find new ways to manage power more efficiently, safely and sustainably. And we’re committed to improving people’s lives, the communities where we live and work, and the planet our future generations will depend on. Because that’s what really matters–and we’re here to make sure it works.
While our vision is to improve the quality of life and the environment through the use of power management technologies and services, our culture and what we value can be represented in six essential leadership attributes expected of all Eaton employees.
- We’re ethical - we play by the rules and act with integrity.
- We’re passionate - we care deeply about what we do. We set high expectations and we perform.
- We’re accountable - we seek responsibility and take ownership. We do what we say.
- We’re efficient - we value speed and simplicity.
- We’re transparent - we say what we think. We make it okay to disagree.
- We learn – we are curious, adaptable, and willing to teach what we know.
What sets our Early Talent Programs apart:
- Each individual’s development experience is customized to help participants reach their potential; no two participants will have the same experience or set of responsibilities.
- Participants receive cross-functional exposure. They have opportunities to build their skills and try on different roles early in their career, ultimately maximizing their potential for consideration for a variety of future roles.
- By keeping our programs small and selective, we are able to make hiring decisions based on each candidate’s unique skill set and high potential.
- The opportunity to learn from senior leaders is a part of the fabric of every experience.
About Eaton: As a power management company with 2017 sales of $20.4 billion, Eaton provides energy-efficient solutions that help our customers effectively manage electrical, hydraulic and mechanical power more efficiently, safely and sustainably. We have approximately 95,000 employees across the world, and sell products to customers in more than 175 countries.
Position Overview: The Eaton Internship Program – Software & Controls position will provide participants with robust and challenging assignments, designed to prepare them for careers in roles such as Software Engineer, Embedded Controls Engineer, and other technical roles focused on driving Eaton’s capabilities in the Internet of Things (IoT) space. Participants will be located out of several different Eaton facilities, including but not limited to Gaithersburg, MD; Southfield, MI; Galesburg, MI; Eden Prairie, MN; Plymouth, MN; Grand Rapids, MI; Peachtree City, GA; Pittsburgh PA; Menomonee Falls, WI; and Fort Worth, TX. Example assignments include projects in areas such as enterprise software, embedded sensing and controls, IoT, lighting management, and mobile cloud based applications. Specific assignments include but are not limited to:
- Working with a team to develop both PC-based tools and embedded software for one or two simple electro-mechanical and/or electrohydraulic controls applications, products or components based on supplied software requirements. Through these projects, will become familiar with and utilize various communication protocols and software development standards. Expected to collaborate with a multi-discipline team to test the software and the interface between hardware and software, and the operational performance requirements of the integrated system.
- Working with a team developing next generation embedded sensing and control systems as well as the software that communicates with these systems. As a key member of the team, you will work with lead engineers on design principles sush as defining requirements, contributing to definition of electronics hardware design, embedded system and algorithm solutions, define test plans and perform validation testing to confirm that system and functional requirements are met. In this role, you will be responsible for working with team members and your engineering mentor to estimate development effort, resources and timing to achieve the desired results.
- Determine how to effectively gather and store massive amounts of log data from the components of an IoT platform. The components include device/gateway software, data ingress pipeline, REST APIs and Web/Mobile Apps. Once the data is collected in a centralized repository it can be analyzed by querying or by asking right questions. You will be responsible for determining the appropriate tools and methods for gathering, storing, and efficiently querying the assembled data, including the ability to provide real-time alerts on current state/health of the platform.
- For a suite of IoT applications running in Azure, determine use cases for different multi-factor authentication schemes, research MFA capabilities provided by Azure (or 3rd parties integrate with Azure), make recommendations, and develop a POC providing a custom MFA pipeline for a mobile application running on Azure which satisfies a set of the use cases.
- Work with the Eaton Lighting division in developing the next generation IoT enabled Lighting Management & Control System that communicates to various lighting, audio visual, shades and real-time tracking devices using various communication protocols and collect data on cloud for analytics. As a software intern you will collaborate with our software development, architecture, QA and product management teams in all stages of Software Development Life Cycle such as gathering requirements, developing & executing test cases, developing Proof of Concepts, estimating tasks and developing production level software to acquire valuable knowledge in how to leverage the Agile development processes, latest technologies and tools to complete your assignments while expand and maintain our market leading product offerings.
Qualifications Basic Qualifications (Including Educational Requirements):
- Actively enrolled in a bachelor’s degree program in computer engineering, computer science, electrical, mechanical, mechatronics, industrial, industrial & systems, aerospace &/or aeronautical, engineering technology, engineering management, operations and/or manufacturing engineering, or a related major from an accredited institution
- Minimum overall cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher (please do not round)
- Must be legally authorized to work in the United States without company sponsorship
- Geographical flexibility to relocate within the United States for the duration of the Internship Program
- Prior internship or co-op experience
- Completion of sophomore year by the start of internship
Active involvement in leadership activities
Software Engineering Preferred Qualifications
- Pursuing a bachelor’s degree in Computer Science from an accredited institution
- Firm grasp of algorithms and data structures
- Active involvement in open source development, hackathons, etc.
- Object oriented design and programming skills experience
- Development experience with Java and/or C# and/or Python and/or Scala
- Development experience with Angular and/or React and/or iOS and/or Android
Knowledge of web services and general services design
Controls Engineering Preferred qualifications
- Pursuing a bachelor’s degree in Electrical, Mechanical, Systems or Aerospace Engineering with a control law focus from an accredited institution
- Basic understanding of control loop principles (PID controllers, feedback control, feedforward control)
- Controller Area Networks experience (e.g. SAE-J1939, CANOpen, ARINC protocols, Modbus, Ethernet)
- Communication protocol analysis tools experience (e.g. CANape and CANalyzer)
- Experience with Matlab/Simulink model based controls development
- Experience with physical system (plant) modeling
- Virtual and physical sensor application and analysis experience
- Application and control of electric machines experience
- Able to identify component symbols
- Understand basic circuit implementation
- Transportation to and from the worksite and for incidental business travel is the responsibility of the intern; however, expenses for required and approved business travel (not including the worksite) will be reimbursed.
- This role may include travel (up to 25%) within a local region as determined by the Software and Controls Assignment Manager.
- The summer internship culminates with a formal presentation where students showcase their success stories to leaders of the organization and receive feedback on their performance.*
We make what matters work. Everywhere you look—from the technology and machinery that surrounds us, to the critical services and infrastructure that we depend on every day—you’ll find one thing in common. It all relies on power. That’s why Eaton is dedicated to improving people’s lives and the environment with power management technologies that are more reliable, efficient, safe and sustainable. Because this is what matters. We are confident we can deliver on this promise because of the attributes that our employees embody. We’re ethical, passionate, accountable, efficient, transparent and we’re committed to learning. These values enable us to tackle some of the toughest challenges on the planet, never losing sight of what matters.
Region: North America – US/Puerto Rico
Organization: Corporate Sector
Job Level: Entry Level
Is remote work (i.e. working from home or another Eaton facility) allowed for this position?: No
Does this position offer relocation?: Relocation from within hiring country only
Travel: Yes, 25 % of the Time