Job LocationMarana - Marana, AZ
Ascent Aviation Services is on of the largest aviation maintenance, repair, overhaul, storage and reclamation operations in the world. Our strength comes from our talented and professional employees who excel through teamwork and enthusiasm. Ascent Aviation Services continues to grow and are continually looking for motivated and career minded aviation professionals who will support our vision and goals.
To lead functions assigned in the performance of specialized repairs and maintenance tasks on aircraft composite material structural members.
- Requires standing for extended periods of time.
- Requires frequent walking, bending, reaching above shoulder level, and balancing.
- Requires occasional climbing, stooping, kneeling, squatting, crouching, or crawling.
- Requires occasional lifting or carrying weight up to 50 pounds and pushing or pulling weight up to 25 pounds.
- Requires eye-hand coordination and manual dexterity.
- Requires corrected vision and hearing to normal range.
Equipment Operated: Vacuum pumps, heat sources, special hand tools, ladders, stands, mechanical stands, hi-reach lifts.
Work Location: Aircraft maintenance hangar; maintenance shop; flightline.
Protective Equipment Required: Goggles, safety glasses, face shields, ear protection, aprons, gloves, safety harnesses, respirators, breathing equipment.
Potential Hazards: Exposure to high intensity noise levels, extreme changes in temperature, airborne substances, materials identified on Material Safety Data Sheets, working on unprotected heights or around moving machinery.
JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Essential Job Functions:
- Ensures that all work performed complies with applicable technical data, FAA regulations and Marana Aerospace policies and procedures.
- Works closely with immediate supervisor as well as Production Control Booth Coordinator to keep them informed on actual work progress in areas of responsibility.
- Reviews non-preplanned documents to identify methods of repair and/or replacement identifying necessary parts, materials and tooling requirements and provides timely estimates for all maintenance on non preplanned documents within scope of responsibility.
- Ensures that all aircraft parts/components removed from an aircraft in work, that are to be routed to Technical Services, are documented by a valid job number and that the work scope is properly identified.
- Responsible for the proper execution of parts tags attached to repairable, serviceable, or condemned parts.
- Performs assigned maintenance work in accordance with applicable maintenance manuals, policies, procedures and FAA regulations including fabricating plastic aircraft parts, accessories, and trim according to specifications.
- Cuts fiberglass, kevlar or graphite cloth to size, following template or blueprints, using cutting machine, scissors, or knife.
- Marks identifying information on material and assembles materials in kits for subsequent laminating.
- Applies parting agent to mold or bonding fixture.
- Impregnates cloth with resins by dipping cloth in solutions, feeding cloth between rollers to impregnating machine, or brushing resin onto cloth.
- Applies layers of impregnated cloth or prepreg onto mold or fixture in predetermined ply sequence, and presses cloth to fit contours of mold, smooth surface, and remove air pockets and excess resin, using squeegee, scraper, spatula or roller.
- Fits and laps ends of cloth, using scissors or knife.
- Encases molded laminate in bagging material and bleeder cloth, attached vacuum bagging apparatus, such as thermocouples, probes, and vacuum connections, to mold or bonding fixture, and exhausts air from vacuum bag to seal laminate for curing. Tests seal on vacuum bagging apparatus, using leak detector.
- Trims, drills, deburrs, grinds, sands, and finishes cured parts to specifications, using templates, fixtures, handtools, and power tools.
- Prefits and assembles cured parts into assemblies or subassemblies, using jigs, fixtures, power tools, and fasteners, such as rivets and bolts.
- Performs cold/hot metal bonding.
- Applies adhesives to surface of assembled parts for bonding in autoclave.
- Performs orientation and on-the-job training for employees. Ensures that training is documented in employee training records.
- Enforces company policies and safety regulations and the proper use of equipment and ensures that quality standards are met
- Coordinates activities of workers including assigning work duties for maximum utilization of manpower and analyzing and resolving work problems.
- Maintains communications within area of responsibility, informing employees as to plans and progress and promoting teamwork and cooperation.
Marginal Job Functions:
- Tracks time spent on each work order and ensures the time is logged on time card correctly.
- Performs maintenance duties away from base on temporary duty.
- Performs maintenance work such as repair and maintenance of company equipment and shop housecleaning.
- Ensure that all work performed is done in a safe manner. Directs activities to protect employees from harm and maintain safe working conditions.
Duties not listed within the position description may be required of the employee at the discretion of the department management. Job functions may vary due to irregular working conditions or multiple shift positions.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities :
- Ability to organize and plan work adhering to deadlines
- Attention to detail and mathematical skills
- Ability to read, write, and understand the English language and to follow and administer verbal and written instruction; ability to interpret and apply technical data relating to position
- Ability to safely drive and operate a standard shift automotive vehicle and other applicable equipment
- Ability to work without supervision.
Education/Training : High School diploma or equivalent required. Associate degree or post-secondary education or training in composites or equivalent combination of education, training or experience required.
Experience: Three to five year’s composite or structures work experience preferred.
Certificates/Licenses: A License required. Current valid Arizona driver’s license with clear driving record for past three years required.
Ascent Aviation Services is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.